Monday, October 1, 2012

Potions, Anyone?






 
Victoria, of Dark Squirrel Miniatures, has been making miniatures for 38 years and has always made minis for her own doll houses.  She has collected small things since she was a little girl, and discovered miniatures when she built her daughter a dollhouse.




She began making fantasy minis in 1996 after seeing a table full of witch, wizard, and spooky minis at the Denver Miniatures Show. That was her 'magic moment'.




She bought a few things and came home not knowing they would change her life. Victoria was building a fishing lodge at the time, so she put away her purchases until she could decide what to make to put them in.  She admits to never finishing the fishing lodge because she started making little things that had no place to go.




 
In 2008, Victoria decided to retire and make fairy and fantasy and magical-type minis to sell, and opened her Dark Squirrel Etsy shop in 2009.





Victoria works in many mediums... assemblage, mixed media, acrylics, clay, wood working.  She makes all her small cupboards and little crates.  Her candles and accessories and even dolls are all handmade.  Most of her cupboards are embellished with vintage jewels and glass.




 

In her words, "I have been an artist my whole life and work in many mediums, my favorite being assemblage. I am a hoarder of tiny things, books and paper.  I am one of those people who is always working on something.  I have more ideas than time in the day to craft."



Be sure to visit Victoria's blog: http://darksquirrelminiatures.blogspot.com/
And, her Etsy shop: http://darksquirrel.etsy.com/



4 comments:

Dark Squirrel Victoria said...

Thank you so much Cathy!!!

You took my ramblings and made since of them :)

Hugs,
Victoria

Grimdeva & Kassandra Moon said...

I have several of Victoria's potions! Love her work ;) I always think of that one absinthe cabinet that got away from me on Etsy. I'm sure it has a lovely home though. Thanx for sharing her work Cathy!

Jody said...

Hi,

Thank you for following me and I like your blog very much!

greets,
Jody

dalesdreams said...

Fantastic work! Nice to get to know her a bit better, too. :)